We are committed to serving the educational and training needs of prospective and/or enrolled service members, veterans, their dependents and/or survivors.

Using Military Benefits

  1. Apply to the College. Review the Getting Started steps.
  2. Meet with an academic advisor for a veterans mapping appointment. To schedule this required appointment, call (815) 921-4100. 

    Please note: You are required to submit transcripts from prior schools. Army, Navy, Marines, & Coast Guard transcripts will be sent to the RVC Records Office electronically. For the Air Force, official, unopened transcripts must be provided to the RVC Records Office.
  3. Apply for Benefits. Between the Federal VA Education Benefits, Tuition Assistant (TA), and State Educational Benefits, you may be eligible as an active duty military member, veteran, spouse, and/or dependent.

    Students using TA benefits must first apply for the benefit through their respective AI portal.  Your branch TA education liaison will contact you regarding your approval. It is your responsibility to provide the Veteran Program Manager, located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center, with a copy of your approval prior to the start of the semester.

    Learn more by reviewing the Types of Benefits below.
  4. Apply for Financial Aid. In addition to using your military benefits, you can also apply for financial aid. The school code is 001747. Once you have submitted your FAFSA, the RVC Financial Aid Office will follow up with the next steps.

    Once you've applied for financial aid, you may receive a "Veterans Shopping Sheet," designed to help you compare college costs. Information will only be provided if you have submitted the FAFSA and have a completed financial aid file showing Title IV eligibility. For more information, contact the VA Certifying Official. 
  5. Submit your Veterans Certification Form (VCR). This form must be turned in to the School Certifying Official for each semester you wish to use your benefits. Failure to turn in this form could result in your classes being dropped for non-payment. Forms can be found in the Financial Aid Office.

    New Students: Turn in the VCR along with all copies of your Certificate(s) of Eligibility (COE) or approval letters.

    Continuing Students: Turn in your VCR. Reminder: if using the National Guard, you must update your letter of eligibility each year; Tuition Assistance (TA) approvals have to be submitted every semester.

Contact Us

  • Milana L. Herman
  • Program Manager Veterans Affairs/Student Employment
  • (815) 921-4163
  • RVC Main Campus
    Student Center, Second Floor (Room 2146)
  • Monday-Friday: 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
    Monday-Friday: 2-5 p.m.


GI Bill® benefits help you pay for college. Learn more about these benefits by visiting the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs website.

Need to verify your enrollment? You can verify school enrollment for GI Bill® benefits online or contact (877) 823-2378 with questions.


Support Services


Types of Benefits

The Chapter 30-Active Duty GI Bill® provides up to 36 months of education benefits to eligible veterans. Eligibility of benefits last 10 years from the date you were discharged from service. You must have received an honorable discharge. Monthly benefits are paid directly to the veteran.

How to Apply:

The Veterans Readiness & Employment Program is available to veterans who have been determined eligible by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs to have a service connected disability. Chapter 31 will make payment to the campus for tuition and fees, books and supplies, and a monthly basic allowance for housing. For additional information on this benefit and to fill out VA Form 22-5490, go to

Individuals who served a minimum of 90 days on active duty after September 10, 2001, are eligible for educational assistance under the Post 9/11 GI Bill®. Chapter 33 will pay applicable tuition and fee charges, as well as provide a book stipend and a monthly basic allowance for housing based on E-5 with dependent criteria. The amount of funds released for each category is dependent on the veteran’s level of entitlement for Chapter 33.

Transfer of Benefits

The post-9/11 GI Bill® allows service members (officer or enlisted, active duty or selected reserve), on or after August 1, 2009, to transfer unused education benefits to immediate family members (spouse and children). The service member must have at least six years of service, and commit to an additional four years of service in order to transfer benefits to a spouse or child. Because of the potential impact of this benefit on military recruiting and retention, transferability policy is determined by the Department of Defense (DOD) and the military services.

How to Apply:

This scholarship provides Post 9/11 benefits to children and surviving spouses of service members who died in the line of duty after September 10, 2001. To get more information and/or to apply for this benefit, go to

Chapter 35 provides  educational benefits for eligible dependents of veterans who died or was permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability. NEW: Per section 202 of the Colmery Act, eligible dependents using this benefit on or after August 1, 2018 will now only have 36 months of entitlement. The monthly benefit is paid directly to the dependent. To apply, applicants must complete a VA Form 22-5490 at

Service members of the Selected Reserve can apply for this benefit that provides a monthly basic allowance for housing and 36 months of entitlement. Selected Reserve service branches include Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard, and the Air National Guard.

How to Apply:

Tuition Assistance (TA) is a Department of Defense (DoD) program. TA rules will vary between military branches. Service members are able to use a Federal VA Education benefit and Federal Student Aid in combination with TA. Students using TA benefits must submit their approved, semester-specific TA form to the Program Manager located on the 2nd floor of the student center prior to the start of the semester.

To learn more about tuition assistance, visit your branch's website:

This program is available through the Illinois Student Assistance Commission (ISAC). Benefits may only be used at Illinois public colleges or community colleges. This grant does not pay for labs, LAS fees, books, and fees.

To be eligible, veterans must have:

  • Entered the service from the state of Illinois.
  • Served at least one full year of active duty.
  • Received an honorable discharge.
  • Returned to Illinois within six months after discharge.
  • Not be in default on any federal student loan.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress

Apply for the Illinois Veterans Grant

Note: You must present your letter of eligibility to the Veterans Services Office at Rock Valley College. 

For more information, call (800) 899-4722 or visit

This grant pays for tuition, activity fees, and registration fees. It does not pay for lab fees, service fees, technology fees, internet fees, LAS fees, or books.

To be eligible, you must:

  • Be currently active in the Illinois National Guard.
  • Have served at least one year in the Illinois National Guard.
  • Apply every academic year to verify you are still active in the National Guard.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Apply for the Illinois National Guard Grant

Note: You must present your letter of eligibility to the RVC Veterans Services Office.

For more information, call (800) 899-4722 or visit

The program is available through the Illinois Department of Veteran Affairs (IDVA). This grant pays for tuition, technology, and registration fees. It does not cover LAS, lab, service, distance fees, or books. Once you have been approved by IDVA, you must turn in your letter of eligibility to the RVC Veterans Services office.

To be eligible for the Deceased, Disabled, and MIA/POW Scholarship, you must:

  • Be a dependent of a service person whose status is or has been that of prisoner of war, missing in action, killed in service or died as a result of a service-connected disability, or is 100%  permanently disabled as recognized by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs or U.S. Department of Defense.
  • Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress.

To apply, go online to

For additional information, call (217) 782-3564.


Call to Active Duty & Non-Attendance

We understand that military service sometimes requires being away from class for extended periods of time. Connect with our Veterans Services Office for information on readmission and non-attendance policies.

  • With readmission, service members and reservists may be readmitted to a program if they are temporarily unable to attend class or have to suspend their studies due to service requirements.
  • In accordance with Illinois Statue (330 ILCS 60/5.2), service members may be eligible for testing schedule accommodations and/or tuition and fees refunds depending on military service requirements. 

Supporting Our Veterans

We're proud to serve our students who have served our country, and we'll do everything we can to streamline the process, connect you to college resources, and support you while you advance your education.