The Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act amended the Carl D. Perkins Career and Technical Education Act of 2006 (Perkins IV) and was signed into law on July 31, 2018. Perkins V expands opportunities for every student to explore, choose and follow career pathways to earn credentials of value.
The current law includes opportunities for:
- aligning Career & Technical Education (CTE) programs
- fostering collaboration between secondary schools, postsecondary schools and local workforce boards
- strengthening the CTE teacher and faculty pipelines
- expanding the reach and scope of guidance and counseling
- promoting innovative practices
- local-driven continuous improvement
Perkins Collaborative Resource Network. (2018). An opportunity to rethink CTE.