RVC Board Seeks To Fill Vacancy
At a special meeting on Tuesday, January 10, 2023, the Rock Valley College Board of Trustees voted to accept applications to fill a vacancy on the Board. The vacated seat is due to resignation of Board Chair Jarid Funderburg. It is the responsibility of the Board of Trustees to appoint a replacement within sixty days.
The appointed trustee will serve on the RVC Board of Trustees from Feb. 14, 2023, to April 2025, when a successor will be elected at the Consolidated Election for community college trustees.
Anyone interested in serving is asked to submit a resume as well as a brief statement of interest stating qualifications for the position and answer the following questions:
- What experiences have prepared you to serve on the Rock Valley College Board of Trustees?
- Why are you interested in this position?
- Why is Rock Valley College an important community resource?
- Will you be available on Monday, February 13, 2023, for a possible interview?
- If selected, will you be available on Tuesday, February 14, 2023, to be sworn in and to participate in the Committee of the Whole meeting?
Applicants should include their name, mailing address, email address, and daytime telephone number.
Applications must be received no later than 5 p.m. on January 26, 2023. Submit via email to Ann Kerwitz, assistant to the president, at email@example.com or mailed to Rock Valley College Board of Trustees, c/o Ann Kerwitz, Office of the President, 3301 N. Mulford Road, Rockford, IL 61114-5699.
Who qualifies for the RVC Board of Trustees?
Candidates must be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, and live within the Rock Valley College District No. 511 for at least one year. The RVC District No. 511 includes all of Winnebago and Boone counties and portions of Stephenson, Ogle, McHenry, and DeKalb counties.
About the RVC Board of Trustees
Regular Board of Trustees business meetings are held on the fourth Tuesday of the month, with Committee of the Whole meetings held on the second Tuesday of the month. Meeting dates may be changed in November and December due to the holidays. Meetings begin at 5:15 p.m. and will be held virtually via teleconference or in person as permitted by Illinois statute. In-person meetings are held in the Performing Arts Room in the Educational Resource Center on the college’s main campus.
Trustees serve without compensation but are reimbursed for reasonable expenses incurred in connection with their service to the college.
As a community college trustee, RVC Trustees are a part of an eight-member board made up of seven elected trustees and one student trustee. All board members have equal rights and responsibilities, with one exception – the student trustee’s vote is advisory.
Timeline to fill the RVC Board of Trustees vacancy
- Announcement of vacancy: Wednesday, January 11, 2023
- Deadline to submit applications: Thursday, January 26, 2023, no later than 5 p.m.
- Review of applications: Saturday, January 28, 2023
- Finalists notified and interviews scheduled: Monday, January 30 – Friday, February 10, 2023
- Finalists interviews: Monday, February 13, 2023
- Appointee is selected and sworn in: Tuesday, February 14, 2023
Interested applicants who have questions should contact Ann Kerwitz at firstname.lastname@example.org or (815) 921-4001.