Rockford, Illinois

International Students

Important note:

All students pursuing a degree requiring a mandatory background check, including but not limited to Nursing and Childhood Education programs at Rock Valley College, need to obtain a social security number.

The only way to obtain a social security card is to secure on-campus employment.  To apply for on-campus employment follow the link below. www.RockValleyCollege.edu/StudentServices/FinancialAid/studentjobs.cfm.

Please be advised on-campus employment is not guaranteed.


Download the Rock Valley College International Student brochure. This brochure features:

  • A step-by-step process on how to attend RVC as an International Student.
  • Testimonials from current and former International Students at RVC.
  • Information about the Multicultural Student Club at RVC.
  • General information about Rock Valley College.
Multicultural Night

International students celebrate Multicultural Night at Rock Valley College.

Rock Valley College welcomes students from outside the United States

The International Coordinator and the Admissions and Records staff assists students from other countries who are seeking to study at Rock Valley College on an F-1 (student) visa. Specific admission procedures and deadlines apply to international students:

1. Contact Mary Foreman, International Student Coordinator DSO/PDSO: (815) 921-4251 to obtain an International Packet for admission.

2. Submit proof of English language competency by one of the following:

  • Minimum score of  71 Internet based, 213 Computer based or 550 Paper based on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL.)
  • Submit a statement of completion of the 9th level at an ESL Language Center
  • An overall band score of 6.0 on the  International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
3. Submit an Affidavit of Support or a notarized Statement of Financial Support or submit proof of “live-in guest” status for in-district tuition rate. Financial aid is not available. If you are a  graduate from a high school within the Rock Valley College district you are eligible for in-district tuition, plus a $500 international fee.

4. Submit original transcripts for secondary and post-secondary course work complete with English translations. Translations must be obtained from the Educational Credential Evaluators.

  • Foreign college or university transcripts must include copies of course descriptions with the transcripts. If the course descriptions are not included, we cannot evaluate your transfer credits.
  • If original copies of previous academic work would be difficult to replace, a certified or attested copy should be submitted.
  • Applicants enrolled at U.S. institutions may have certified copies of the foreign records sent by their current institution for tentative evaluation.

5. Attend an Getting Started Session for RVC.

6. Attend new student orientation at RVC.

Submit all the above documents by:
June 15 - fall term
November 15 - spring term
April 15 - summer term

Send Documents to:
Rock Valley College
Attn: International Student Admission
3301 North Mulford Road
Rockford, IL 61114- 5699