Whether your plan is to take classes and transfer to a four-year university or enter one of our career programs designed to get you into the workforce right away, Rock Valley College has what you are looking for. Select from one of our more than 60 transfer areas or more than 30 career programs.
At Rock Valley College, you're not just a number. Our highly respected faculty have master's degrees, doctorates and real-world experience. You won't be competing for attention in a huge lecture hall. Our average class size is 21, so you'll get a chance to interact, challenge and be challenged by your instructors.
Have fun. Try stuff. RVC gives you opportunities to get involved. There are lots of student activities to choose from. We offer more than 20 clubs and organizations. Try your hands at student government. Join the staff of our campus newspaper. What's it going to be?
Whether you are new to the college or know your way around, we have a variety of services designed to help you succeed. We're here for you every step of the way.
RVC competes in NJCAA Division III in men's and women's basketball, women's volleyball, golf, baseball, softball, and men's and women's tennis. Not to brag, but we're pretty good at it. Our teams have won seven national championships and we have had more than 100 All-Americans.
The Estelle M. Black Library at Rock Valley College features nearly 75,000 volumes and more than 650 periodicals, and access to the interlibrary loan system. It also features spaces for individual and group study, and if you get thirsty, there's a coffee shop in the lobby!
Degree conferred: Associate in Applied Science - 71 credits
Program contact: Nursing program office, (815) 921-3261 or go to www.NIOIN.org
This degree combines online nursing classes and face to face labs and clinicals
Degree approval and professional licensure
The program is approved by the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Program graduates are eligible to take the NCLEX-RN according to the requirements for licensure in the Illinois Nursing Practice Act.
· Contact www.NIOIN.org
· Attend a hybrid online nursing information meeting
· Complete RVC general admission procedure.
· Application deadlines will be posted on the hybrid online nursing program’s website: www.NIOIN.org.
· Meet with an academic counselor to develop an academic plan.
· File a nursing program application for the hybrid online program.
· Submit three letters of recommendation from employers and/or supervisors with hybrid online application, using the form distributed at the information meeting
Out of district applications
Out-of-district applications to the hybrid online nursing program will be considered only if space is available and there are no qualified in-district applicants.
1. High school graduate or GED.
2. Current CNA on the Illinois Department of Public Health’s Health Care Worker Registry. www.idph.state.il.us/nar/home.htm Listing in good standing.
3. Reading/vocabulary at 13th grade level and recommended passing score of 80% on the TEAS (Test of Essential Academic Skills).
4. Minimum of three semester credits of online course’s which meet nursing program requirements with grade of “B” or better.
5. Intermediate algebra with a grade of “C” or better (MTH 093 & 094) or the equivalent on a college math placement test.
6. High school chemistry with lab with grade of “B” in the last 5 years or college chemistry with lab (CHM 110) with grade of “C” or better.
7. Five – eight semester credits of college level Anatomy and Physiology and four credits of Microbiology with a grade of “C” or better.
8. Cumulative college GPA of 3.0.
1. Criminal background checks will be required before enrollment in clinical courses. See handbook for further information.
2. All hybrid online nursing courses, both theory and clinical, require a “B” to pass. Students who do not earn a “B” or better will remediate by learning contract and a plan for re-entry, if appropriate, will be developed. No more than one NUR course may be repeated.
3. It is recommended that as many general education credits as possible are completed before beginning the nursing curriculum.
4. General education courses may be taken for a “C”, as long as the overall GPA is a 3.0.
RVC Academic Counselor at 815-921-4100 or Kathleen Johnson, NIOIN Director of Nursing at 815-232-4309.
Associate of Applied Science 71 Credits
Online Nursing Degree Requirements 47 Credits
NUR 178 Pharmacology 2
NUR 179 Fundamentals of Nursing 4
NUR 181 Fundamentals of Nursing Clinical 5.5
NUR 182 Med/Surg I 4
NUR 183 Med/Surg I clinical 5.5
NUR 280 Family Health 5
NUR 281 Family Health Clinical 3
NUR 282 Med/Surg I 3
NUR 283 Med/Surg II Clinical 3
NUR 284 Professional Roles Nursing 1
NUR 285 Mental Health 2
NUR 286 Mental Health Clinical 3
NUR 287 Med/Surg III 3
NUR 288 Med/Surg III Clinical 3
General Education Requirements 24
BIO 185 Human Anatomy and Physiology I 5
BIO 274 Introductory Microbiology 4
PSY 170 Intro to Psychology 3
ENG 101Composition I 3
SPH 131 Introduction to Oral Communication 3
PSY 270 Lifespan Developmental Psychology 3
FWS 237 Nutrition for Optimal Wellness 3
The online nursing courses are organized to be completed in a two-year sequence.